Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Rainy Season is Here



Here is a picture of the weather forecast for the week. This was the first morning that it was raining on the way to school. So far, most of the storms have been at night--some really spectacular ones. It wasn't too heavy this morning, but Claire and I were hoping to take a taxi to school, which I then planned to take onward to the embassy for my Thai language class. No luck--all the taxis were full. We tried walking to a busier corner, but just that short walk with cars splashing through puddles near us and not being able to squeeze through narrow parts of the sidewalk with the umbrella convinced me that I really need to learn to drive here, at least from our house to the school. Finally, a car stopped and the window rolled down. It was a family taking their daughter to the same school, and they recognized us (we stand out). They offered to drive us. What a relief.

Yesterday, I took Sylvie with me to pick Claire up from school so we could go to a friend's house afterward. Again, we weren't having luck finding empty taxis (Claire's school is at the end of a smallish road), so we kept walking. We got to the point where I thought that surely, our friend's house was just around the corner (we were coming from a different direction than usual), so I had the girls continue to walk. They started to melt down (almost literally in this heat!) and then Sylvie refused to walk altogether. I picked her up, and she immediately fell asleep on my shoulder. I was about to give up and try to find a taxi to take us home when I saw our friend's place. Yes, I really need to be brave and take the car. J said we could do some dry runs this weekend.



No comments:

Post a Comment