Thursday, August 12, 2010

Queen's Birthday


Claire wore makeup for the first time and requested a special hair-do for her performance.

In Thailand, Mother's Day is celebrated on the Queen's birthday and Father's Day on the King's. Many schools have class performances on these days, and the mothers and fathers are invited to attend, respectively. My expectations of a preschool performance were minimal, but this school Claire attends always seems to strive for "above and beyond." Claire was a part of three separate numbers (of the 16! on the program). The outfit pictured above had to be purchased for her class performance. It luckily fit the white dress requirement for her music class performance, but we had to rent a ballet costume, as well. She was expected to wear makeup and have her hair in a bun. The program started with an awards ceremony, a little like graduation, where each kid had to walk across the stage, bow to the principal, receive their certificate and get their photo taken. Then came the 16 different performances. Claire's music class one was the most entertaining. I had asked her what she would be playing, and she told me, "the pinano" [sic]. Turns out she just stood by a keyboard while the teacher played the melody to "Twinkle, Twinkle" and the rest of the kids pounded or blew on something. Afterward, she confessed to me that she "forgot the notes" but that she "didn't think anyone saw." I had brought Sylvie because she was so excited to see Claire perform, but about half-way through, I knew we needed to get some fresh air and a snack. One of the other mothers saw me downstairs and was worried I was leaving before the finale, so I returned, only to have to sit through five mothers' speeches. Sylvie fell asleep. I can say that I am proud of Claire for going to school each day and not comprehending almost all of what is being said, because I could hardly take half a day of it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment